I thought I would try something that might be fun, and make the site a bit more interactive. I’m going to open myself up to requests.
So, if there is something in New York City that you would like to suggest I shoot and post on the site, leave it here in a comment. If you want to second or third a suggestion somebody else made, feel free to do that. If you want to make more than one suggestion, that’s OK also.
I will maintain absolute discretion as to whether to take any suggestion, but here are some useful ideas and guidelines.
- I am willing to go to all 5 boroughs. Don’t limit yourself to Manhattan. I’ll even consider locations outside the city but reasonably close.
- You can suggest landmarks, specific buildings, types of buildings, bodies of water, streets, intersections, pieces of public art, parks, churches, synagogues or other houses of worship, specific stores, types of stores, and so on. Did your grandfather grow up in Brooklyn?* If you know the address, or at least the street or block, leave it in a comment and I will try to get to it.
- Do not limit yourself to specifics. You can also ask for categories or broad concepts, such as a firehouse in Queens, a commercial avenue on Staten Island, a barber shop in the Bronx, etc.
- I’ll decide how to process, such as whether an image should be black and white, HDR, stylized or realistic. That said, feel free to suggest specific points of view, such as a close-up of the side of the Empire State Building instead of the iconic top, so you can’t tell what building it is. Or maybe you want to see the back side of the Flatiron building that nobody ever photographs.
- Specific events are allowed, but it’s easier if I do not have to be at the location at a specific date or time, and therefore more likely to be something I will try to do.
- You can suggest something I have already covered, and I’ll try to handle it differently this time, or feel free to suggest a particular point of view as noted above.
- I’m currently interested more in locations and scenes than street photography ideas.
- I do not as a rule break in to buildings or grounds where I am not allowed, and I won’t do something that does not feel safe.
I will try to prioritize suggestions in the order which they come in, but that will also depend on the location, whether I have to research first, where I will be travelling otherwise, and the opportunity to combine that shot with other interesting subjects.
Let’s see how many suggestions or requests we can generate and I’ll try to work them in at a reasonable pace, maybe one per week.