Masthead header

Um, Okay [Seagram Building Plaza Teddy Bear and Lamp]

Um, Okay (I don't get it)

The plaza in fron of the Seagram Building on Park Avenue is one of the city’s most successful public/private spaces. I admire the building management for trying new things every now and then, but not this.  This is called Untitled (Lamp/Bear) and is going to be auctioned off by Christie’s in May. Ever since the Cow sculpture exhibit from a few years ago, it appears that the dominant theme in public art installations is whimsey.

I like whimsey, but it is not, by itself, enough to make art interesting.

I do, however, appreciate that the bear is on twitter, with a profile that reads, “i’m a bear. under a lamp. in front of a building. you figure it out.”

Related Posts with Thumbnails
Backto TopGet inTouchShare onFacebookTweetthis PostSubscribeBy Email
  • Jerry DenhamApril 16, 2011 - 8:09 pm

Mark, this is freakin’ awesome. Incredible colorReplyCancel

• Jim DenhamApril 16, 2011 - 8:55 pm

Good stuff Mark. It must get a lot of play or they would not keep putting them up. They obviously are not consulting the correct people.ReplyCancel

• Scott WebbApril 17, 2011 - 1:10 pm

I’m a color fanatic and this really gets me going! What a cool subject to come across too!ReplyCancel

• Ryan SextonApril 19, 2011 - 12:59 pm

I know Mark, I think it’s awesome! Maybe its just the way you make it look in your photo. Great Job!ReplyCancel

• Jay Taylor (aka Sirfishalot)December 21, 2011 - 8:16 pm

Really dig the composition and colors in this one Mark!ReplyCancel

• MarkDecember 22, 2011 - 12:08 am

Thanks, Jay. I love it when somebody stumbles on an older image and leaves a comment.ReplyCancel

• [...] metal and glass architecture, but I love this building that arguably spawned the style, and I’m not a fan of some of the pieces they temporarily install on its beautifully simple plaza. [...]ReplyCancel

Your email is never published or shared. Required fields are marked *

CommentLuv badge